Kindergarten classroom information for Arnold kindergarten parents

Thursday, August 27, 2009

What's Happening!

Wow! This week has flown by so quickly! I had every good intention to post what we would be studying this week but lost track of time! I guess I will share what we have DONE this week!

We have been working on sorting all different kinds of ways! Your child should know how to sort items by color, size, shape and by kind! The kids have had a great time sorting the different things we have in our classroom. It has been a fun unit of study for most of them!

In reading, our story was "Fix-It Duck." The kids have illustrated the setting for that story. They have identified their favorite character and today, we will be making a "cut and paste" duck. We have been looking briefly at each letter with a focus on two or three per day. In a couple of weeks, it will be a more intensive letter study beginning with letter Mm. At that time, we will be really stressing correct letter formation, sound and letter identification. Many of the children know the letters and sounds already which is great! They should be able to begin putting sounds together to read simple words.

During our calendar time, we have been talking about what a calendar is used for. I hope that all of my students will be able to say that it measures time. We also take that time to count and do some fun songs. Ask your child about "The Tooty Ta!" They really seem to like that soung. Also, this week, we have been singing about the color red. See if your child remembers how that song goes.

Kindergarten is a place where children say some of the funniest things! I have to share this one cute story with you all! On Monday, our snack for the afternoon was a banana. I told the class that when I hand them the banana, all I wanted them to say was "Thank you" and not "I don't like this." Right after my little speech, I had one of my little girls raise her hand. I called her name and she said in the cutest, sweetest voice you have ever heard "My nana's name is Nana." Kindergarten kids are precious and adorable!

Thank you for letting me teach your precious angels! They are all wonderful and unique little people!

No comments: